Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Being happy

What does it mean to be happy in the moment? I was asked this or more challenged to it today in an encounter with a friend and it has caused a great deal of reflection. I am happy....I really am...but am I in the moment.

This is a hard concept for a worrier and control freak like myself. You see, I like to think about what is coming up, what is next, where I am going, what I am going to do. I have a friend who teases me because I usually have my kids summer's planned by February. (And yes, this year is no exception.) But, in my effort to be so "organized" am I missing out on the right here and now?

As I contemplate this reality, I ask myself, okay...so how do I fix it. A recent struggle reminds me that I have spent a good part of my time focusing on a bad outcome and how I am going to deal with it that I have spent little time in the fun revelation of what if I had a good outcome?

So, I am vowing to not sit and wait for either outcome. I have done what I can and what will be will be. After all, after you plant a garden you don't sit and watch it and wonder, what will I do if nothing grows. You just let it be...occaisionally watering it, but let it be. Assuming its not your profession and the family income is not dependent upon your "crops", you let it be. I think I need to apply this gardener mentality--let's call it the Green Thumb principle.

So, I am embarking on more now moments. I'll never completely abandon my planner instinct...because in my mind, that leads to fun later. But, as is often over coined, the journey is the experience, not the destination. I am a journeyman...taking it all in. Starting with a few girl scout cookies....in the NOW.

No comments: