Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ironman Arizona 2008--What a long, great trip its been

Ironman Arizona 2008

I think I have procrastinated in writing this race report…kind of like tackling the big elephant in your living room. How will I put into words the thoughts, emotions and experience of that day? Is it possible? I suppose, with any writing endeavor, all we can do is try……and “tri” we must!

I’ve posted about the days leading up to race day—the anticipation build was not as nerve wracking as I might have expected, but rather anticipation similar to childbirth. I know, I know…enough already with the Iron “MOM” references but really, I can’t help myself. I remember the day Abby was born like it was yesterday, and as we were getting ready to go to the hospital I had an anticipation….excitement, nervous, a bit of fear, but a sense of calm that on the other side, would be emotions so deep and rich that whatever I had to go through would be worth it, I just had to get through it.

(I need to make one small note here…even though it goes without saying, as great as the Ironman is, nothing has rivaled the feeling I had bringing my two beautiful girls into this world---close, but not equal. J )

Saturday was calm but full of the anticipation I described. We headed down to athlete village around 2pm to drop off my bike, gear bags, make posters, (we thought Janus would have an “inspiration tent” similar to CDA, but were mistaken) see some friends and just continue to unwind. We grabbed a picnic table outside the Newton running tent and just hung out---loitering might have been a better word, but it was fun. We laughed, took pictures, ate snow cones (yes, can you believe a pre-race snow cone!!) It was a great part of the weekend…I was off my feet after all. I wonder if sometimes people take the pre-race rest a bit far….suppose it depends on your goal, but my goal was to have a solid day and enjoy it---so it was easy for me to be here with my friends. I found it relaxing and motivating.

I had several offers to stay in town with friends, I had even reserved a room in town just in case I felt it would be better for a “pre-race” sleep, but as I looked around my group of support, I thought…there is no where I would rather be than with them tonight. They (especially my family) ARE my reason…I don’t want to be away from them, alone in a hotel room with nothing but me and my thoughts! How’s that for scary!! So, we wrapped up our fun and headed back out to the rent house for dinner and more rest. Carine and Karen took to the kitchen duties and but for one minor oven technical problem, lasagna was on the way. We ate a bit late for my preference but not enough to stress about. It tasted good, I was in a good place, and felt all the love and support of those who came to be here for me.

I made some final check lists and additions to my special needs bags and turned the light out around 9:30. I was ready for sleep. I had little problems falling asleep and actually felt quite rested when I woke up at 3:45. The plan was to leave the house by 4:30 to get to transition by 5. I got dressed, made coffee, had breakfast, etc. Basic race morning stuff---not like anything I haven’t done several times. I wasn’t nervous at all….the day I had prepared for was here and I was more excited to get it started. Clay Rahn, a friend, once told me about the feeling of celebration on race day…I now understood what he meant, everything we had worked for was here. I had done what I had done and now it was time to execute, to the best of my ability. Karen and Carine woke up to wish me well and send me off. Dan and I get a late start and I stress a bit about getting to transition. I try to stay calm and not be cranky towards him, my biggest cheerleader, but I am starting to feel a time crunch.

We arrive at transition at 5:30 and with only an hour to prepare; I get busy on my to-do list. Drop special needs, add items to gear bags, air up tires, check tires, (my tires have haunted my days leading up to race day), go to the bathroom, get body marked, put on my wetsuit etc. It’s a busy morning and time just evaporated! I was fortunate to see Tim and his gang of Team Tarp. A big hug from a fellow athlete felt good! I also saw Aaron as we were both running around doing our thing. I stayed with Dan for the remainder of my “free time” and we were quickly joined by Stacy, Craig, Melissa, Tim, Tory and Diesel---my band of brothers!! I’ll say it again; I was overwhelmed by the onslaught of support of my friends. These people are like family to me and to say having them there was a treat, just doesn’t do it justice. I am forever grateful!!

They start making announcements for the Pro’s so I figure its time to head over to the start. I get one last hug from everyone and a special pep talk from Tim (a.k.a. Titanium….my brother from another mother). He reminds me to not let my head mess with my heart…because what is in my heart is awesome and will guide me to a great day. The words spoke to me on so many levels, I even shared them with another and I think, based on her race report, it helped her as much as it helped me. They corral us up before they let us cross the timing mats (a necessary step to activate your timing chip) and who do I see? Al and Tricia!!! So many omens for an awesome day…I’ve now seen almost everyone who came out to cheer me on! Sweet!

We make our way to the dock and people start jumping in. At first I think, “Well, I’ll wait. It’s probably better on land than in the water...” But then, I just jump in. Um, hello…what did I just say? I think my body took over my mind and just acted. In retrospect, it was a good thing because it gave me lots of space to maneuver to my location of choice. I was towards the front and was happy to be there. I have made a lot of progress in the “head game” of the swim but hadn’t tested it in such conditions since CDA and well, we all know how that went. I look to the sides, and they are packed…both sides are jammed with people. Well, that isn’t going to work for this highly, claustrophobic young lady! So where do I go….the middle. This actually unleashed quite a mental struggle…..Ahmed said go to the side because it’s away from the people. My judgment told me the goal is to just get away from the people, so I use my brain and go center. Only time would tell if it would work. I remember my conversation with my coach a couple of days earlier…..”these are tips to just make it a bit better and give you the best chance…its still going to be hard, but its ok”. Okay…I breathe deep…I’m sticking with my decision. Then I hear, “Jeanne!” I was a bit startled, because really…in a sea of 2400 athletes, what are the chances… but here comes Tatiana! AWESOME! So good to see a familiar face it gets my head out of the location debate that had occupied it for several minutes now. We exchange words, advice and verbal hugs! She’s incredible and I remember praying for her, Aaron, Tim and David---that they have a day equal to their effort. She had worked hard and I hoped it would pay off!

I can hear Mike Reilly, the voice of Ironman, talking in the distance. The kayaks are starting to get into position. Its coming…the start of my Iron day……adrenaline pumping, heart racing and then all of a sudden silence. My head is hushed with everything except visions of the last year….like some sort of photo montage from a movie: training, not training, baby, no baby, lots of tears, no more tears, a new plan, lots of support, CDA, exiting the course after the bike, a new bike, more training, a wreck on the bike, new dogs, more training, and then finally, a mental image of my gang. My family: Dan, Abby and Aidan. The loves of my life and my reasons for everything! I am filled with peace, calm and confidence. There is never a doubt in my mind that today, on this day, it is MY day…I will be an Ironman!

BANG! I actually saw the smoke of the canon and boom, we are off! I start swimming, a bit accelerated but not ALL out. It was an Ironman swim, and I got knocked around a bit, but in my mind there was that feeling, “hey, I’ve done this before, it will get better, just stick with it” My Iron aqua-bike in June had been a huge blow to my ego, but the skills learned were all benefit at this point. I wrestled, gasped for air among the wake, and stayed focused. I found a pocket to swim in and stayed there as long as I could. There were so many draft options it was silly…I remember laughing a bit thinking of Ahmed, man…if I couldn’t draft here, I would never get it! Re-focus, stay the course, stay on feet just swim. I arrived at the second bridge (Rural Ave I believe) and couldn’t believe how much further PAST the bridge the actual turn around was….psych! I just kept swimming, heading for the orange turn buoy and before I knew it, I was headed home. The second half continued to be as choppy as the first but I was over half way there---things were good. I had a couple of goggle issues here and there, but nothing show stopping. Little did I know that would be the theme for the day: issues here and there, but nothing show stopping! The Mill Ave. bridge was there before I knew it and I was making the turn into the finish. I could hear the crowd…I was totally jazzed. I had no idea how long I had been in the water. My pace was comfortable the whole way—I had played it conservative. I’m sure I’ll have to answer to that later, but the plan was to have a solid day, and I felt like I had a solid swim. My thoughts were around 1:15, 1:20…after all, I swam a 1:22 in CDA. I didn’t feel much faster here, but certainly more rested and less beat up. So….I was good.

I exit the water with some help at the ladder, thank goodness, and hit the carpet. By some miracle, I see Abby and I stop, go over and give her a big kiss. I don’t know who was standing around her, she was all I saw—what a treat. Then I hear Mike Reilly talk about those of us exiting the water and I hear him say, “An hour and five minutes folks!” What?!? Fifteen minutes better than CDA?!?! You’re kidding? Wow….awesome! In retrospect, this was a unique moment in my day. It is said that 91% of athletes will have a race performance that is BELOW their training potential, 8% of athletes will have a race performance that is EQUAL to their training potential, and 1% of athletes will have a race performance that EXCEEDS their training potential. This swim was a 1% swim! I had been training at 1:45 pace/100m and I just swam a 1:42 pace/100m. Ahmed had told me, it’s not about what you do in the pool come race day and he was right (again!). To say I was jazzed is again, an understatement! I got my wetsuit stripped, ran to transition, and got ready for the bike.

I saw Gail and DeeAnn at transition and DeeAnn helped me with my complete wardrobe change. I had anticipated cooler weather and wanted to be completely dry for the bike. Probably not necessary in retrospect as the temperature was perfect, but that was my plan and I stuck to it. I was in and out of transition in about seven minutes, so not too bad. I had thought about ten. I am out on the bike, loving the crowd, and taking it all in. Aaron passes me out on Rio Salado and yells "I love you Jeanne"! I yell back to him and wish him hopes of a GREAT day. I am on my way, step one—success. Step two—the bike.

The bike course is three loops so I really broke it down into six segments: out to the turn around and back, repeat 3x. The trip out to the turnaround was not “hard” but it wasn’t fun. As a matter of fact it was the least fun part of the whole bike. The Bee Line is a long gradual climb, nothing crazy, just long and gradual. The wind wasn’t significant but it was there, adding to the “fun”. I focused on keeping my heart rate down and never looked at speed. My heart rate was in training pace, somewhere in the mid to upper mid section. Nice and easy for the first 15 miles was the plan and I was focused on delivering. I made it to the turn around in a little over an hour and was on my way back “home”. I love the thought of heading “home”—just found it to be motivating because I know what was waiting for me there.

The second segment of the course, back from the turn around WAS the most fun! What goes up must come down, right…so it was downhill all the way, slight wind at our back, going 27 mph….awesome! Heart rate low---check. Having fun---check! One quick stop for the potty (I was wearing bike shorts and the thought of a super soggy chamois for another 80 miles didn’t sound good) It was greatness. I actually had the mental acuity to enjoy this because it was certainly going to be the “easiest” part of the day. I make it home, see everyone and get all kinds of cheers. I’m all smiles in the pictures. Segments 1 and 2 accomplished. On to the second lap.

The second lap started out pretty uneventful until I turned onto the Bee Line. About 10 minutes into the Bee Line my front wheel starts wobbling and making sounds…yep, it was a flat. Okay, I thought, I can do this……I’ve practiced, and practiced and practiced changing these damn things….let’s do it. It was clear some debris had gotten in my tire. As I thought about this I wonder if it was because I was riding to the far right on the first loop. You see, when you have a decent swim you are in front of some folks….and often those folks are serious cyclists. On the first loop I was passed by many of these “serious cyclists” and I made sure I was “out of their way”. Many passed me in small packs and sounded like freight trains coming up behind me…you better believe I got out of their way! I think my conservative nature cost me as the sides of the Bee Line are littered with debris and I found some of it…in my tire. Dang it!

The guys at the bike shop had sold me some Fix a Flat in a can. I thought, well, why not try the quickest fix first and see. Well, that stuff takes some practice and I hadn’t practiced! I got white stuff all over my hands, the ground and my bike shorts. I finally lined up the valves and was able to fill the tire, or so it felt, and I was good to go. Now, my critical flaw here was not letting it set the required five minutes…I just put it back on my bike and took off, hoping it would hold. Not a long stop really 5-8 minutes or so, and I was back on my bike. I rode for about 20 minutes on my Fix a Flat tire when the rattling and shaking began again. It hadn’t worked and I needed to just take the time and change the tire.

I am thankful it was my front tire as that is easier to take off. I removed the wheel and began to work on the tire. I felt like Norm Stadler in Kona the year he had two flats…it was the tires! Too much glue!! Ugghhh! This is where Karma is a real bitch—because I have made fun of that clip of Norm Stadler since the first time I saw it! I couldn’t believe a champion could throw his bike and crack like that. Not nice, I know and I shouldn’t judge, but hey, a laugh is a laugh and I’ll take them where I can get them. Well, my joke turned on myself when I couldn’t get the damn thing off. My hands were tired and I was freaking out a bit. I stood up several times to get myself to re-focus and relax. Come on Jeanne… you can do this. Get the ‘effing tire off! I had packed a small craft knife in my spare kit (a suggestion from a brilliant Tigger!). I finally grabbed the craft knife and basically cut the glue and tire off. Once I got a good grip of the tire, I was able to pull it off, finally!! I inspect the rim to make sure nothing was stuck in there and grabbed my spare tire. It went on relatively easily (as it had been previously stretched), I aired it up (not enough actually, but I didn’t learn that until later) and was good to go. Phew….again, an issue but not a show stopper. A pretty big time waster, but not a show stopper. I got back on my bike. I made it to the turn around and was headed back “home”. I stopped at special needs as I had packed an additional tire in my bike special needs bag, just in case. It took awhile to re-pack my spare kit, put it back on my bike, but I wasn’t going to take the chance of another flat. Two stops already were enough! Back on my bike again…NOW, I am headed home.

At this point, I can’t help but look at my watch. What was my family thinking….did I bonk? Did I crash? Needless to say they were pleased to see me when I made it to the turnaround….I recharge my batteries with their cheers, make even more Norm Stadler jokes to Tigger (will I ever learn? For shame!) and head back out for my third and final loop. I need to make another potty stop and decide I’m done getting off my bike and don’t care if my chamois is soggy….after a brief tinkle, I rethink my decision and pull over at the next aid station. I notice my front tire is low, not super low but low, but no one has a pump. I make the choice to just get back on my bike and deal with it. Again, at this point I think my mental capacity is a bit shy of a full tank, because had I been my own client I would have said, “of course you take the time to fill it!!” Oh well...iron mind lesson one.

The last bike segment is good---I work on staying in a good place mentally and am able to do so. Once I make the turn around I know it is home free. I resist the urge to “make up for lost time” and stay with my training pace heart rate. When your goal is to have a solid day, there is no making up lost time…lost is lost and there was very little I could do about it. My turn back on Rio Salado brings a renewed enthusiasm…I am almost off my bike. It is only 3pm and my feelings at the start of the day are confirmed…I WILL be an Ironman today…..I have nine hours!

I come through transition, another wardrobe change (I ditch the bike shorts and put on my tri shorts) and am out on the run. My favorite part—my biggest comfort zone. Many people had told me the marathon will not be like any marathon I have ever run, but in my mind I am armed with the confidence of this distance. I have run it before, I have run it well and I know what it takes mentally. I am in the best place mentally that I have been all day and with any luck; I’ll be done with this thing in less than 5 hours!

The plan on the run: aid station to aid station. I was going to walk each aid station from the beginning to the sign that said, “Last chance to drop trash”. When I saw that sign, I had to start running again. The first loop was easy---worked on keeping myself in check and not go too fast. It was hard not to speed up as you passed the crowds because the cheering just kind of lifted you up. It carried you through those areas. I stayed on plan with my nutrition. I had not deviated all day and had no issues to speak of except for the desire to have some different texture or taste in my mouth. I took some oranges here and there but pretty much stuck to the plan. The second loop was a bit tougher and I could feel the blisters building in my shoes. Somewhere my feet had gotten a bit wet and the friction had started…..anyone have any marshmallows for the fire in my feet? My vision was getting a bit blurry here and there and I slowed my pace to keep everything in check. The words “the answer to every problem in Ironman is to slow down”…so I did. I thought maybe I needed more salt than I had taken so at an aid station I grabbed a glass of chicken broth. I guess I didn’t assume it would be piping hot so I tossed it back like a glass of water. OW! It was uber hot and I scalded the roof of my mouth. Dang it! Oh well, again….an issue, not a show stopper.

By the second half of the second loop I was made aware of how cranky I was when I was on a downhill and there was a spectator, sitting on the side of the course smoking a cigarette. All you could smell was her toxic, carcinogenic heater! What the hell? Without even thinking, all my thoughts of smoking and those who do it are unleashed on this spectator. I look at her and yell (yes, yell!), “Put that out! Don’t you think this is hard enough without smelling that crap? You’ve got to be kidding me lady but most people here are trying to be healthy. If you want to kill yourself, do it somewhere else!”

Okay….step away from the ledge Jeanne! After the last words came out I was kind of laughing at myself…JEEZ! Okay, I was in worse shape than I thought. Time for an attitude adjustment. I went through the next aid station, saw Aaron (who was having a tough run—dang it), and regrouped. I was reminded of the book Mikey gave me before my trip, “The Art of Racing in the Rain”. It’s a great book, I’ve mentioned it in previous blogs, and you should all have it by now…so read it. I was reminded to not let any zebras into my day, and to stay positive. My verbal out lash was enough, it was time to focus, and it was time to finish.

I came into the third lap and through the swarm of people. I saw Tigger, Stacy and Melissa first, Tricia and Al, then I saw Dan, Abby, Reilly and Aidan….I think I saw Karen and Carine….I’m sure they were there. Diesel jumped in and ran with me a bit at the start of the third loop---all very encouraging, all very motivating. I was on my last lap----break it down to small bites….bring it home.

At this point I haven’t faltered from my aid station to aid station running plan…I just think my running had slowed. I am starting to get anxious. I was a notorious “barn smeller” in my marathon days, and clearly this Ironman thing would be no different. I could feel my pace picking up—maybe not significantly, but it was picking up. I could no longer feel the pain in my feet, my legs, anything….just the thought of getting ‘home’. I had people waiting for me and I wanted to be with them!

I finish the first half of the final loop and see my gang on the bridge. I tell them it will be about an hour but I’ll be there. They laugh at my words and I smile with them. 135 miles under my belt and I’m still cracking jokes…I’m the greatest! LOL. By this point, every point on the course is familiar, the faces at the aid stations are familiar and in my mind, it’s nothing more than a training run (a hard one, but a training run). I see Craig as I start the second half of the final loop and his words carry me most of the way around the remainder of the course. I see my friends at the “western” rest stop and “friend” at the end of the aid station tells me, “It was good spending the day with you Jeanne…now go home!” I get a bit choked up, give him a hug and head off for the final 2.5 miles. Once I cross the bridge, it’s all out, its okay to go and I’m going. I grab some grapes at the final aid station, just to have something different. After one grape I immediately spit it out. A horrified teen ager at the aid station looks at me as I catch her glimpse and say, “wow…that was a bad idea”. “I guess” she responds….I giggle.

I can see the lights in the distance and certainly hear the crowd. I start saying to myself, “just get me to the people…the rest will take care of itself…..get me to the people”. About 500 ft before the “people” I hear, “why, is that Jeanne Jones? She is my favorite Iron-mom ever!!” It was Aaron, sitting on the lawn with a friend. He had finished his day, not as he would have liked, but he finished. I love that guy! I’m so close now I can taste it. I come into the area where the crowd is, smiling, and picking up the pace. I’m close now….sooooo close.

I make it to the split on the course: finishers to the left, 2nd and 3rd loop to the right. Ahh…the left….finally! I begin asking people, “where is the family pen…where is the family pen….” I don’t want to miss it. A big part of this day was going to be finishing with Abby. My Ironkid who has taught me over the years the meaning of being strong and never quitting….I was going to finish with her no matter what.

I round the last corner and there she is, standing with Tricia who so graciously offered to volunteer in the Family Pen so Abby would be well taken care of. There she was….my hero…waiting for me. I ran to her, she told me how awesome I am, I told her how awesome she is, we hugged….and then I looked at her and said, “Are you ready? This is what we’ve been waiting for, are you ready?”
“I am Mom….I’ve been ready all day!”
“Okay kiddo….let’s do this”
And off we went…under the Ford arch. I was in the finishers shoot, I had made it, I was about to hear the words I’ve waited for……I was there!

There is a woman in front of us and I advise Abby to take our time, let her go so we can have our own finish. We pause a bit, I look to the side to high five people but their faces are a blur. I don’t see my support crew but apparently they were right in front of me…didn’t see them! I was just about to see them when I heard Mike Reilly say my name….it was my turn so Abby and I make our way to the finish tape. Some guy (and I have other words for him but will refrain…after all, who am I to judge the mental capacity of another athlete. I had verbally chewed out some innocent spectator!) cut in front of us causing us to run in place for a bit and then cross. Not a big deal really because we crossed, together, and then hugged.

I think if you are lucky, you get lots of hugs in your life….but there will always be those that are permanent snap shots in your mind. Etched in your memory forever…this was one of those hugs.

We were quickly joined by volunteers with warming blankets, chip takers, medal and t-shirt givers, etc. Diesel was there with his magnificent hugs and then came Dan, Karen, Carine, Tricia, Al and the kids. How they all got to behind the finish line is beyond me really..but they were there and we were celebrating.

I thought my finish would be full of tears and emotion. The emotions were high and plentiful but the tears were missing. Maybe I had cried so many on the journey along the way or maybe I was so dehydrated there were no tears…either way I don’t know, they just weren’t there. Instead, I had a feeling of calm, of pride and accomplishment. I had a day equal to my training, so I was fortunate. What followed that evening was dinner, a shower, some phone calls, etc. Pretty typical post race stuff. I didn’t feel awesome physically but knew that would pass, I felt awesome everywhere else.

Now, here I sit, one week later…finally accomplishing the task of putting my day into words---easier than I thought. But the emotions pre-race, during the race and now post race have run the full spectrum and I am taking them as they come. I love wearing my finishers gear…my reminder, my every day medal. But most importantly is how I feel about the experience….Ironman is a great event that tests limits and defines character. It surpasses anything you might have thought was possible in your life and gives you fortitude to handle just about every challenge that comes your way. But in the end, it’s a day, a race, an event…it is the people you bring along the way, who enrich your life, give you strength and make it meaningful that are the real prize. To lose focus of that for a “stupid” race is a true loss.

I am blessed for my experience but even more blessed by the people who shared it with me. I think it takes a village to do an Ironman and I love the village I live in. My medal will end up on a shelf, my finishers hat will fade with age, but my family and friends I get to keep with me for a lifetime….so, with that, I win.

3 comments:

Derek said...

That has to be the best race report I have ever read. The emotions of the whole day came out perfectly in your writings. I'm sure the memories with friends and family will be with you forever. Congrats again!!

TriSara said...

Hey Jeanne! I LOVED your race report. You are an excellent writer and captured the memory of your day in a way that we all could enjoy and relate to. I share your sentiments about being an ironmom and how you have to keep things in perspective. Thanks for sharing with us...congratulations!

But where are the pictures?

Sara Underwood

David said...

congratulations jeanne! i enjoyed reading about your experience