Sunday, May 25, 2008

Let the games begin

Holy cow....I guess you could say I am up and running! I just came off a crazy, 10 day, triathlon extravaganza! And, its official....I'm tired!



Wednesday (May 14th) I left Fort Worth--Lubbock bound! I was headed to the Buffalo Springs Camp-I was to coach the first session, race Buffman and Squeaky, and then be a camper at the second session. I got to ride in style as for the first session, I was the guest of Leah and Miles Burr who carted me to West Texas in the lovely vehicle shown below:





This home was AWESOME! They call it their "Tri-Home" as they travel to various locations, vacation, race, hang out, etc. and it is quite the way to go. I think the interior was bigger than my first apartment in Chicago. I can now cross off my bucket list: travel/vacation in a motor home. I had a blast and enjoyed the time with both of them--when we weren't training, listening or giving lectures, we hung out, watched movies and had a great time!

Now, one might think that "coaching" the first session would be light work--not when you don't have a scooter! I did everything the campers did, even a bit more to catch up with the back of the pack, and then some. It was tiring but a great camp. I really felt like a coach at this camp, as opposed to Ahmed's lacky. My lectures were good, people were interested and learned something and I felt more confident than I have in a long while. It was ALL good!


I had a few clients there which was fantastic as well because they learned so much. It certainly makes my job easier when they understand the why behind what we do. It seems the world knows we train with HR but "why" is rarely understood. Anyway, the camp was great and I had a blast.




On Sunday, we finished it up with the Buffman and Squeaky Triathlon--Olympic distance. The swim was really good, the bike was fine but the run was timid. Its almost as if I've lost my nerve in racing a bit....I could push harder (according to HR) but didn't. I played it pretty safe the entire run. I am hoping some training races will help me work on that--I'm going to need it.




Sunday night Camp II began---this time, I was a camper. Which pretty much meant the same thing, I trained, I gave lecture, but no race at the end of the week. The second session was much smaller but equally awesome. I like the small group setting--more room to really get to know each other.



We had a camper named Danny Ferrone who was really an inspiration. He is a 24 year old cyctic fybrosis patient who is training for Buffalo Springs. He has started a foundation for CF and is racing to raise funds and awareness for his cause. You can learn more about him and his foundation at http://www.fightforever.org/ Pretty amazing!




I got home late Tuesday night and come Wednesday I was beat. I had a couple of days to get my act together and then headed out for Austin to race Cap Tex on Sunday. Another good race, swim was good, bike was good, run was....well....not great. The week had caught up with me, it was hot and I was done. The lesson here was that I think I allowed myself to be "done" before I even started. I need some headwork when it comes to the run for sure.




Abby went to the race with me and we hung out in the hotel and in Austin. I know she is always a bit bored at these events but also know she comes to have the time with me. I appreciate that and love having her around. Knowing she is at the finish line always, always, always helps. I rarely buy race photos but there is one of her and I at the finish line that I hope turns out!




So, here I am post craziness and trying to motivate myself out of fatigue. I feel great about what I accomplished...maybe not on the clock or in the record books but in my mind. I am focused and aware of the work that needs to be done. This will be important heading into the summer when Hurricane Harbor is always more fun than a 90 min run...but as always, I'll do my best and see where it takes me.

1 comment:

Derek said...

Sounds like your having a great training spring/summer. Good luck on your CDA training day, it's looking like the weather could be great!!